Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Sewing: The Next Frontier


Longtime readers of this blog know that I'm not the kind of person who took home ec. Although I was probably the perfect candidate for the course, I scoffed at it because I thought I was going to be a working woman who was unconcerned with domestic matters. HA! Who did I think I was? First of all, cooking, cleaning and sewing are way more complicated than almost anything I do in my professional career and second of all, they're skills that enable you to save more of that hard-earned cash. Plus, how crucial was it that I use one of my elective credits on an upper level math elective that almost killed my GPA?

Two years ago, I started this blog as a way to document my efforts to learn to cook and was stunned when, in about the span of two months, I had basically learned how to cook. There are still plenty of challenges I haven't tackled yet, but I get the basic gist.

So I thought it was time to move on to another skill that eludes me: sewing. Sewing is so technical and demands so much skill and focus that it actually scares me. But I went ahead and asked for a sewing machine for Christmas, and received the one you see above: the Singer Heavy Duty machine.

On Sunday, I took the machine out of its box and put it together. I was actually laughing to keep from crying when it took me the better part of two hours to properly thread the machine. I don't expect to become an expert seamstress, and I'm pretty sure there are many blogs that explain sewing WAY BETTER than I ever could, but I do want to document some of the projects I tackle as I go.

So far: I've learned how to sew a buttonhole...kind of. I'm still not sure I'm using that feature correctly.

I hope you'll all speak up and give your best advice, share tutorials that have helped you and just generally be the supportive friends I'll need in this endeavor!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar